The Student Support Services program works hand-in-hand with the Academic Support Center to help students successfully complete their postsecondary education. The goal of SSS is to increase the rate of student retention, graduation and transfer to four-year institutions for its participants.
Our services include academic advising, individual and group tutoring, peer mentoring, classroom success workshops, assistance in obtaining information and applying for admission into four-year programs, career counseling, cultural activities, FAFSA and college scholarship assistance as well as workshops designed to improve financial and economic literacy. All of these services are provided free of charge to help support students in meeting their educational goals.
In order to join the program, students must be:
• A first generation college student and/or low-income student as determined by Department of Education guidelines and/or have a documented disability evidencing academic need.
• Enrolled or accepted for enrollment at Malcolm X College.
• Pursuing an associate degree OR planning to transfer to a four year college/university.
Each student who participates in SSS at Malcolm X College must:
• Attend a TRiO SSS orientation session
• Participate in tutoring sessions and/or workshops
• Update a TRiO SSS advisor about current progress