Malcolm X College is pleased to support student
success through peer, professional, and embedded tutoring. Malcolm X College's Tutoring
Services offers free tutoring and academic support services to assist students
in achieving personal and academic success. Tutors are available in a wide
variety of subjects to assist students through one-on-one and group tutoring
sessions. We encourage any student to seek tutoring to gain a deeper
comprehension of course content and to enhance learning development.
Top Ten Reasons Students Should Seek Tutoring:
1. Helps to improve failing or declining grades
2. Builds confidence and self esteem
3. Teaches students how to overcome test anxiety
4. Provides enrichment for the successful student
5. Teaches organizational skills
6. Reduces frustration with a particular subject
7. Prepares students for standardized testing and improves success
8. Establishes a good foundation for early5 learners struggling with key concepts
9. Helps with common core standards and teaches students new learning techniques
10. Reduces the struggle with homework
To receive tutoring is a
quick and easy process:
- Using GradesFirst, you can make an appointment for tutoring in
either the Academic Support Center (Room 1601), WordShop (Room 1209) or the
World Language Lab (Room 0536). Simply log in with your Username and Password.
On your homepage, you'll see your courses listed and a link to schedule a tutor
appointment. Please follow the steps
below to schedule a tutoring appointment.
- Our front desk staff can also make appointments for you if you
stop by the Academic Support Center or the WordShop. Please see the Tutoring
Chalkboard below for specific availability.
- Workshops for Summer 2015 are being scheduled.
More information to come.
Taking advantage of tutoring services is quick and easy.
- Check tutor availability or make an appointment using GradesFirst. Log into GradesFirst. On your homepage, you'll see your courses listed and a link to schedule a tutor appointment. You can find drop in tutoring services or make an appointment.
What Tutors Expect From Students
- Don’t procrastinate. We are happy to assist you with study prep, note taking, brainstorming, and final revisions, but please do not wait until the last minute to request tutoring services. It is important to remember that tutoring sessions are limited in time, so plan accordingly.
- Come prepared to tutoring sessions. Bring any relevant textbooks, syllabi, class materials, notes, and papers. It is easier for the tutors to provide excellent tutoring service if you bring the appropriate materials to a tutoring session. Additionally, it is important for your tutor to refer back to any relevant materials provided by your instructor.
- Read your textbook and any relevant material provided by your instructor. It is difficult for you to understand the course material if you have not read assigned pages from the textbook. Additionally, the tutors cannot provide assistance if you have not read the appropriate material(s).
- Come with a plan and questions. Know what material you would like to cover within that tutoring session. Actively participate in the tutoring sessions by having a list of questions to ask your assigned tutor.
- Tutors will not do your homework for you. We strongly encourage you to attempt to complete your assignment prior to requesting a tutor so you can take note of specific concepts where you need help. You and your tutor can review these concepts and work through similar problems. However, the tutor cannot do your homework for you nor help you with take-home tests, quizzes, or projects.
- Be Respectful. Do not talk on your cell phone or cause distractions while working with your assigned tutor.
Other Tutoring Centers
Great Student Success Links: