Olive-Harvey College, located at 10001 South Woodlawn Avenue in southeast Chicago, serves thousands of students annually in their pursuit of a certificate, degree, GED or learning English as a second language. In 2013, City Colleges of Chicago unveiled its Five-Year Strategic Plan
, outlining key metrics crucial to student success. Olive-Harvey College met or exceeded 7 of 12 of its goals on the FY2013 Scorecard
, including graduation rate and retention.
- The FY13 IPEDS graduation rate is 9 percent, above the target of 7 percent
- More than 2,500 students completed a certificate or associate degree
- 65 percent of students were employed in their area of training and the median earning for those students was $32,240 annually
- Total enrollment exceeded the target with 11,005 (unduplicated)
- Read more accomplishments in the FY2013 Scorecard and targets through FY2018 in Olive-Harvey College's Strategic Plan
Olive-Harvey College offers a number of programs in transportation, distribution and logistics (TDL) – one of the region’s fastest growing industry segments. The curriculum’s focus on key modes of transportation such as air, rail and road will help to prepare students for the 110,000 TDL jobs anticipated in the Chicagoland region over the next decade. A $45M TDL facility
is currently under construction (scheduled for completion in 2015) to produce the highly-skilled professionals needed to meet future industry demand.
Students can learn:
- The fundamentals of moving raw and/or finished products from points of origin to customers, including: product receiving, storage, order processing, packaging, shipping, inventory control, hazardous materials handling, dispatch, tracking, equipment operations and managerial functions.
- The skills and tools for obtaining a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Health & safety for TDL including basic OSHA standards, safe lifting practices and driver wellness.
- The rules, regulations and requirements to which warehouses and distribution centers must adhere.
- About practical career opportunities in the public chauffeur field, which includes livery, limo and medical carriers.
Olive-Harvey students also learn from tours of TDL facilities, guest industry speakers and professional development workshops designed to create more qualified and competitive candidates for TDL jobs.
Olive-Harvey College programs include associate degrees, basic and advanced certificates, adult education and special interest courses. Associate degree, certificate and short-term training programs are offered to prepare students to transfer to bachelor's degree programs or to move directly into the workforce. English as a Second Language (ESL) courses help students master the English language while Adult Education courses prepare students to pass the GED examination. Non-credit classes range from short-term job training/career skills courses to personal development and leisure courses in a wide variety of areas.
The majority of full-time students are recent high school graduates; however, many adults also attend classes. The average student age is 28 years old. And the average class size is 25 students.
Olive-Harvey College is the largest campus of any of the City Colleges, providing an atmosphere conducive to personal, social, and academic growth and success. Parking is available for visitors and students and several transit routes are available including the CTA Red Line, and the CTA buses #28 and #106.