The Office of Community Relations, Governmental and Legislative Affairs strives to maintain positive relations between government offices, local campuses and our neighbors, and work collaboratively with community groups to improve the education experience of our students. The mission of LGA is to provide legislative, regulatory and financial support to CCC through proactive representation before the City of Chicago City Council, the Illinois General Assembly, the offices of Illinois constitutional officers and the United States Congress.
We seek to introduce legislation that is beneficial to CCC, expand and maintain financial opportunities for the District and foster working relationships with elected officials, government agencies and industry experts. Our goals are to ensure public understanding of City Colleges' programs and initiatives, ascertain public attitudes toward issues in education, and identify the public's educational expectations for their students.
We have developed and will manage the Strategic Community Outreach & Legislative Affairs Plan for the City Colleges which as a focused approach aligned with the District's core business of education.
Our Core Objectives
We seek to define and advance excellence in community engagement by:
- Identifying key indicators of excellence in the community and state organizations
- Identifying potential goals for achieving excellence in community engagement in the next five years
- Locating where we are now relative to that vision, and what is supporting/hindering the various constituencies in achieving excellence at present
- Addressing how best to make progress toward sustained excellence in community engagement through appropriate programs, networks, relationships, and structures.
- Addressing questions amongst government officials, school/community events.