The College Success course is designed to enhance the student experience at City Colleges by providing critical information about academic and career planning, college resources, study and research skills, and opportunities to become engaged in college life outside of the classroom. This 3 credit course is offered to students during the first semester of their college career and covers the following topics:
- Successfully Navigating College
- Academic Advising
- Student Guided Pathways (GPS) and Education Planning
- Career Exploration and FOCUS 2
- Transfer Planning and Resources
Training and Requirements for Current and New Instructors
Note: Applications Can Now Be Submitted.
Applications due no later than Friday, August 12th.
to apply to be a college success instructor. You will need to login using
your ccc email and password.Returning instructors will only be required to fill out a portion of the application as not all information is needed.
Instructors who teach this course are required to attend an annual training. The next district wide training will be held on Monday, August 22nd and Tuesday, August 23rd from 8:30am - 4:30pm at
Malcolm X College.
The training covers:
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs), Course Topics,
and Review of the Textbooks
- Integration of Student Guided Pathways (GPS)
- Best Practices for Improving Retention
- Overview of Student Support Resources
- Per the CCC Credential Guidelines, it is required that all College Success Faculty have a master's degree and successfully completed District training.
Guidelines - City Colleges of Chicago, pg. 9,
- CS instructor certification is valid for one calendar year and renewed annually.
- Current instructors who need to recertify are required to attend the second day of training.
New instructors attend both days.
about becoming a College Success instructor, please contact the College Success Coordinator at your College:
College Success Coordinators
College Success Master Teachers
The College Success training is facilitated by the College Success Institute Master teachers, and Academic Affairs staff members. The College Success Institute offers opportunities for current instructors to become a College Success Master Teacher. The criteria for the Master Teacher distinction is that a candidates must teach the course for two consecutive semesters and facilitate one of the training modules during the Instructor training.
College Success Seminar Institute - Master Teachers
Kevin Smith, Harold Washington College Arlethia Mayes, Harold Washington College Donyel Williams, Harold Washington College Dr. Juandalyn Holland, Malcolm X College Lewis Rule, Malcolm X College Regina Walton, Malcolm X College Maggie Rice-Ayala, Truman College Allison Zures, Harry S Truman College Diego Baez, Harry S Truman College Gregory James, District Office